We are launching today an Emergency Appeal for Gaza YMCA, which has suffered tremendous destruction as a result of recent bombing. Please see below the key information regarding the appeal and, if possible, bring your contribution in order to re-establish essential community services for the children, youth and families of the Gaza Strip. See the web story here: https://www.ymca.int/donate-for-ymca-gaza/
A. What happened
– On Sunday, 16 May, an air raid demolished a building adjacent to the Gaza YMCA’s facilities, causing extensive and direct damage to the building and to the entire surrounding area. As a result of the bombing, the Gaza YMCA’s offices and buildings suffered considerable damage and large parts were destroyed.
– For 11 continuous days the Gaza Strip was bombed, leading to severe damage to large areas. Over 200 civilians lost their lives as a result.
– Currently, there is a cease-fire agreement in place, which created the context for rebuilding.
B. What is needed
– Gaza YMCA is committed to rebuild and to ensure both the required facilities and the mental health of its staff, volunteers, members, and their families.
– There is an urgent need to repair the destroyed or damaged facilities, from simple cleaning and replacing doors to complete renovations and rebuilding of some of the areas.
– For those who are interested Gaza YMCA can also provide a detailed technical list with all the required expenses.
C. Appeal Goal
Through this Appeal, we intend to raise at least $20,000 in support of the rebuilding efforts of Gaza YMCA. This would be our contribution to cover financial needs which are actually higher.
D. How can you contribute
1) Donate here: https://www.ymca.int/donate/ymca-gaza-appeal-june2021/ or contact Suzanne Watson at email@example.com to arrange a bank transfer to World YMCA for this Appeal.